Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Iron Chefs

Alot of things happened since Christmas break and I haven't had a chance to blog them because we seem to be working all the time. We have enlisted on average about 6 guys each Saturday and Sunday from the other venues to help us complete the work at our Athlete's village. I just felt ripped off though because every other crew is done and getting to enjoy Whistler while we are working late and on weekends busting our asses. I learned a long time ago at T. Harris that burn out is a real issue. I'm really starting to feel burned out as my best buddy Jeff kept pleading with me one night to stay and all I wanted to do was get back to the Love Lounge!!

I now have a new room mate! Kudos, if you guessed it was my new best buddy Jeff. We were all deeply affected to see Laurent (my old "room homie") not return as one of our team members. I have to admit that things were lonely in my room in the few days that I didn't have a room mate. I even looked at Laurent's room and decided that I didn't want to move in after all. I was already settled in and liked the fact that I can throw things on top of the top bunk to get it out of the way. The main bedroom closet is too small anyway. I have to say though that the maids were cleaning over our holidays so when I first stepped into my room, I didn't get hit in the face with the smell of ass!! It smelled clean. Back on topic, Jeff was ready to take my old bedroom so that I could have the ensuite bathroom but I was moved in already. Maybe I had hit my head too many times on the bunk bed above but I decided I wasn't moving! It's funny though that Jeff knocked on my bedroom door that first night and asked "Buddy, are you using both your pillows?"

"Why," I asked?

"I just can't sleep! These pillows smell of ass!"

"No problem my son. Use my spare bunk bed pillows. I've never even slept on them."

Courtesy of my best buddy Jeff, we got all new pillows when he went down to complain the next day.

We had one of our trainers (Alex) from Vancouver come to Whistler for Christmas week. Alex stayed with his family, in Jeff P's room while we were all home for Christmas. Alex heard us talking about the meals we were preparing for ourselves (and each other) and he commented that we were all turning into "Iron Chefs". Now most of you guys know that I don't cook. However, I have not only been stealing recipes from Laura, I have been calling her and setting up video calls so she can manage me while I attempt her recipes. Joe gave me the compliment of "raising the bar" with Laura's lasagna recipe last Tuesday (when our Canadian juniors won the silver medal in hockey, just losing out to the Americans in overtime). It was meant to be a "celebratory lasagna" but it tasted great all the same. That was a two day lasagna that was prepared the night before and cooked on the second night. Everybody at work on the second day was planning to send me home early so that we could eat at a reasonable hour. The lasagna was made in a giant roasting pan and must have weighed close to 30 lbs. That lasagna inspired my best buddy Jeff to rant to his wife that he too can now prepare a lasagna dinner! Micki (Jeff's better half) said that she has been trying to get Jeff to cook for years and all it took was a five minute video call to Laura to inspire him. Strangely, that conversation sounded familiar. On the other hand, I had to contend with my wife barking orders to "stir the sauce" or "take out the noodles" etc. I had to turn to her and say "Hey, I'm only one man!" It felt like I had my own show, "Cooking with Luciano." I know the ratings would not have been very good though because the director kept harping in on the talent. Or maybe it was the talent! All that was left over were four pieces. That was another two meals of lasagna for Jeff and I. Jeff still came to me later and asked why we had to invite so many people. He wanted to have his own private lasagna. Off to Nestors Market! Although I had overestimated the amount of noodles I needed for the first lasagna and I had some left over, it still used the total of three jars of sauce and three packages of cheese.

This little guy was added a few weeks ago and is outside of the Team Germany residences. I know it is a pile of rocks that have been piled up into an inukshuk but I was not the guy that did it. I just don't have the time to do it. There are only fourteen more days until we get kicked out of our venue and we get a security sweep done. So naturally, we will need to work like dogs to complete all the wiring. It has gotten to the point where by the time I get home, I am too tired to cook or do anything else. I was happy last Friday to get the night off, just to be able to wash my clothes. (Thank God I did my wash before going home for Christmas). So now it has gotten down to the "Friday night wash." I was seriously looking at recycling my socks and underwear (by wearing them inside out) to make it by. After all, these are supposed to be the "greenest games!" I just don't think they meant it "that" way. "Let there be clean socks and underwear for everyone" (as long as you use phosphate free soap). I'm not quite sure who the official supplier of phosphate free soap is to these Winter Games. You would have to watch TV to know that. Oddly enough, even though I have been installing loads of LCD and Plasma TVs, I have not been watching them. Okay, I'm rambling now, so let's just quit while I'm ahead.

On a sadder note, I could not finish this blog entry without talking about the ordeal that Liz (working in Vancouver for Bell) is going through right now. Liz looks after arranging our flights home and making sure we all have a bed to sleep in (as well as much more I'm sure). Liz lost both her parents within three days of each other. My heart goes out to her. Although I know she won't be reading this, we at Whistler send our condolences.

No comments:

Post a Comment