Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Big Send Off

The late mother of a dear friend of mine taught her son (whom now resides in Labelle, Quebec) to just say “Thank you.” Instead of risking the feelings of the donor and possibly cheapening the thought behind the gift, she would scold him with, “Just say thank you, but say thank you, gracefully!” So when David found himself the recipient of a thoughtful gesture he thought, “Ah, you really shouldn’t have! I don’t deserve this! This is too much!” But he did what his mother had taught him and he said, “Thank you, gracefully!” That’s my David!

I won’t say that I hate birthdays, birthday parties or the tag of officially becoming a year older. If I don’t have to be in the limelight and I can hide in the corner, I will eat, drink and be merry at any party. But when the spotlight shines on me and I become the centre of attention, then it truly becomes uncomfortable. That being said, I thought that I had gotten through another birthday with the usual fanfare that I am most comfortable with; small intimate party with a minimal amount of gifts. Maybe it’s a lack of self esteem or a lack of confidence thing surrounding birthday parties. Our family really never had huge birthday bashes growing up complete with a multitude of gifts, so I never really had that kind of experience!

Yesterday, be it because I was turning an even 5 decades (I was told 350 in dog years, yeesh!) or because Laura wanted to give me a great send off, or a combination of the two, I was treated to a party in my honour. Despite my feelings of dread, it was great to see so many friends and family coming together in celebration. My wife Laura is really the “party girl” in this family and you just have to love her for that. Some people were under the impression that it was a surprise party but the last surprise party in my honour didn’t turn out that well. It’s like me and giving blood; bad things won’t happen if I give myself a chance to get used to the idea. (On a side note, I tried to tell the nurse that she should lay me down to take blood and she agreed with me once she observed the 200 lb. man convulsing in her lap. I really haven’t gotten over the needle thing so its God’s little joke to inflict me with a hypothyroid and the need for regular blood testing. My hearing is good though! The vampires, as I call them, always yell “Crash cart” as soon as they recognize me)

Many friends and family attended and those that were invited but could not come, sent their well wishes. Many brought gifts (although I know they were instructed not to) and had to endure the big oaf in the limelight opening them. Maybe that was the point!? Then in the sweats of opening gifts, one last gift was opened and it was more than I could have ever expected. I always thought that the trio on the card and myself could have played at least one game of golf together, so on a personal note, you had me at “From Terry, David, Hugh.” I have felt blessed and my family has been blessed just to be among the “conoscenti.” Then today, I have received many well wishes from people that didn’t know about the party and again from people that were at the party and all this has left me speechless and humble. I wish I could verbalize my feelings now in a way that everyone would truly appreciate but all that comes to mind is “Thank you, gracefully!”

1 comment:

  1. Luciano, I know when I say this, I say this from the entire family and your friends, WE WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY AND WE LOVE YOU! Have a great trip to the Olympics, this is such a great experience for you.

    Words can not express how much you mean to me, as you have been such an important part of my life and I know that I don't always tell you this, but THANK YOU! (gracefully)

    Not a lot of people can say that their brothers-in-law have been around almost their entire lives and have played such a big part of who they have become. I can. I am that lucky!

    I look forward to your homecoming and think you should go with the flag, stalker boy!

    See you at Christmas!

    Lots of love, hugs and kisses

    Jenn, Fred and Molly

    ReplyDelete